Friday, July 31, 2009

Pass the salt please

That's Epsom Salts. My new treatment for the heat radiating from my underarm. I bet I could soft boil an egg if I tucked it under my arm for a few minutes. I had my Dr. follow up on Wed as usual, but I got a new Dr. this week. I like him, he actually looked at my underarm/burn area and suggested I use an epsom salt solution to bathe this area. Last night I did it two times and again this morning. Wow, what a difference! Thank you, new doc.
As for my timeline, I have two more treatments of radiation and then on Wed I start my daily dose of Tamoxifen and I also have my first phsyio appointment to help me deal with my arm swelling. I'm hoping for some resolution there. The hot weather makes it a bit of a challenge as well, but things are cooling down every day now. I think we have peeked in our heat wave.
One big struggle that exists right now it that as soon as I open my eyes, well, before I even open them, I am reminded that I'm dealing with breast cancer by the pain that I feel from my underarm. I know this will heal and it will pass, but I'm really looking forward to the morning when I wake up and just think about what I need to do to get ready for my day. I won't be thinking "when is this going to end", "when am I going to not feel this under my arm" "won't it be nice to move my arm and not feel anything different". Not having to go to Bellingham every morning will start this process. This ends on Wednesday. After this day, my trips to Bellingham will be for appointments at various dates and times, or the trip will be purely for pleasure; if you call Costco and Fred Myer pleasure trips ;-). I actually avoid going to Bellingham on the weekends, just because I've been there every single week day for the past 8 weeks. Again, this shall pass and be a distant memory in the journey of life.
I went away over night last weekend, and it felt like I was away for days and days. It's amazing what a day with a friend doing a little retail therapy and a night in a hotel can do for the soul.
Go enjoy your day today!
Sharon

1 comment:

  1. I hope the Epsom Salt bath works for the burning under your arm. Hang in there! Gearing up for the walk. It begins this Friday. I will be thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete