Tuesday, June 9, 2009

All Exits to Chemotown are CLOSED.

Who knew one could be so fabulous at 46? I am a 10, certified and documented. I always knew I was, and now I have the papers to prove it. My OncoType DX score came back and I am a 10. To top that, Dr. Kominsky, my medical oncologist informed me that I am cancer survivor who will not derive any benefits of chemotherapy. WHOOHOO! The test results show a very low reoccurance score and there is no benefit to me having chemo. However, I will be doing radiation for 15 min/day, 5 days/week for 7 weeks. Dr. Kominsky told me to get started on it sooner rather than later, so I called Dr. Taylor today and I have my appointment for my breast modeling tomorrow at 2:30 pm. Wow, a 10 AND a breast model, who knew??? (Hey, if I can't throw some humor at this crap I'd be a basket case).
Radiation will not be a walk in the park, but it is much easier than chemo and I know I will be fine. I might be sore for a while, it might take a kick at my general well being and maybe take my energy level down a notch or two, but that's all tolerable in the grand scheme of things.
This treatment will be followed up with 5 years of drug therapy, I'll be taking Tamoxifen on a daily basis. The side effects of this drug will just have to play itself out over time, but of all the options of all the treatments, I have been blessed with the easiest of them all.
I have my next appointment with Dr. Kaufman, the captian of this journey, on June 16. I called his office right after finishing with Dr. Kominsky, just to let Laurie know I had the results of the Oncotype DX test and she told me her and Dr. Kaufman were just looking at it and they were both so thrilled for me! Whoohoooooooo!
Be thrilled for me too!
Sharon

2 comments:

  1. Hi Sharon: what great news. I am thrilled for you!!!!!!!!!!!
    Judy (JLP)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wooooo Hoooooooo! That's soooo Awesome! I am so incredibly thrilled for you! A cancer survivor ... Wow!
    Hope to see you soon so we can celebrate!

    Love you!
    xox

    ReplyDelete